Illuminating ClayBen Piper, Dr. Carlo Ratti, Yao Wang, Bo Zhu, Saro Getzoyan and Professor Hiroshi Ishii / 2002
This interface allows users to explore and analyze free form spatial models. Using this platform we explore the domain of landscape design, where the relationship between form and computational simulations is of particular relevance.
Landscape models are constructed using a ductile clay support. Three-dimensional geometry is captured in real time using a laser scanner. From this information simulations such as shadow casting, land erosion, visibility and travelling time are calculated. Finally, the results are projected back onto the clay model.
This combines the advantages of physical interaction with the dynamic qualities of graphical displays.
- Tangible User Interfaces (TUIs): A Novel Paradigm for GIS TGIS 2004
- Bringing clay and sand into digital design — continuous tangible user interfaces BT Technology Journal 2004
- The Illuminated Design Environment: a 3D Tangible Interface for Landscape Analysis Thesis 2002
- Illuminating Clay: A Tangible Interface with potential GRASS applications GRASS 2002
- Illuminating Clay: A 3-D Tangible Interface for Landscape Analysis CHI 2002